Saturday, February 23, 2013

Wander Dust - Michelle Warren

Wander Dust - Michelle Warren

I don't knowwwww.

I do say that about a lot of books, don't I?
With Wander Dust I was very intrigued with the story because it was different. It wasn't the angel/vampire/werewolf/fairies type of thing that seems to be 3/4 of the fantasy genre nowadays. Honestly, I get a bit tired of it. Yes, I do enjoy some books with such things in them, and always try to remain open minded when recommended one, but that doesn't stop me from frowning every time I see it EVERYWHERE. This is basically why I downloaded Wander Dust on my Kindle, also because it was free. 
Plot-wise, I was hooked from the first page, because time travel in YA literature does not occur very often, at least not in ways that actually sound appealing. However, despite this appeal there were things that I just didn't connect with in this book.

On her sixteenth birthday, Seraphina meets a mysterious Lady in Black who seems to cause all sorts of weird occurances and paranoia. After a strange happenstance that thrusts her to Chicago twenty years in the past, she finds herself being sent to stay with her Aunt and figuring out how very different she is. Not to mention how to control her very special talent.

As I stated above, I really did enjoy the plot. I give the author total props for coming up with a different and interesting story. The whole thing with the three partners and being pretty much bound together for life was cool. Also, I enjoyed how well she described each person's talent. Really, it made me debate as to which I'd most want to be, the wanderer, seer or protector. (Probably the wanderer.) The plot alone was worth three stars, however it was the other things that brought it down in my mind. 

The writing and pacing was fine. There were repetitive lines, such as those describing Bishop, that really annoyed me. I don't care about his appearance, so please stop telling me about his eyes. Also, some of the conversations just sounded a bit odd. Pacing-wise, I shan't complain. I blame a lot of the awkwardness on not being so used to reading on my Kindle yet. 

The characters were one of the things that most annoyed me with this book. I couldn't find myself connecting with the main character at all. Some of things that she did seemed a little odd to me, and I ended up shaking my head more times than not. She was strong, yes, but quite stupid with other things. Also, our leading male character deserves several eye rolls. Enter Bishop (really Max), male, British, and perfect in every way. I just, ugh. Here's another one for the list. I tried to like him as a character, but ended up not being able to take him very seriously for some of things that he did and said. Then, Sera's father was another character that really confused me. First, the fact that she called him by his first name: Ray. I don't know many teenagers who call their parents by their first names, but, it was only the first weird thing that I noted about their relationship. Next, the fact that Sera practically shoves it in our face that they're not very close and he's not very observant. Though, he becomes more observant in such a short time, like when he notices her purple hair or her little concussion episode. I mean, if you're getting grounded all of the time, then obviously your father notices things going on in your life. The whole thing was very awkward and weird.
Honestly, the only character that I did find myself liking was Sam. She knew who she was and what she was doing, which is something that I like in a character.

Besides the characters, there were other little things that bothered me with this book. I feel that it would be easiest to just put them into a list. 
Therefore, semi-spoilers ahead, in no particular order. Read at your own risk.

1) Sera gets a picture of a drop-dead gorgeous boy in the mail, who winds up becoming a sort of stalker of hers. This boy, whom I believe is Bishop, (pardon me if my close reading skills are off) sent her a picture of himself? Was it him that sent it? Why? To jumpstart their link as part of the team? The whole thing was just weird to me. 

2) At one point Sera attends the Normal side of the school with three people whom she somehow befriends. A bit later in the story these three people appear at a party for the students on the Academy half, with no explanation as to how or when this occurred. Uh, weird.

3) The whole love at first sight thing, I don't know if I buy it here. Seraphina and Bishop hardly even know each other. Well, except that Bishop knows that Sera is the other part of his team and begins stalking her and trying to help her jumpstart her talent. Really, they've hardly talked when she mentions his oh-so-wonderful eyes and he's already trying to kiss her. I, what? Where's the chemistry? Where's the actually figuring out things about each other?

4) Speaking of the kiss, or almost kiss, what even happened here? She jumps away like a crazy person and starts running away in a country that she's never been even in before. I mean, sure you could wander home if you wanted to, but seriously?

I'm sure that there were more things, but these are the main ones that come to mind. 

Overall, Wander Dust was a good book. The plot was pretty solid and interesting, the characters were bearable, the ending leaves you curious as to the happenings of the next book. Therefore meaning, I just may be curious enough to continue with this trilogy. Really, if you're the least bit curious about this book, I recommend that you at least try to read it. It might be more of your thing then it was mine.

☆☆☆/5
Recommend?: If you're looking for something new in the area of fantasy.
If the idea of time travel is appealing to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...