It's Not Summer Without You - Jenny Han
So, obviously I was curious enough to pick up the sequel to The Summer I Turned Pretty, more so because I wanted some sort of closure with Belly's situation. If we can really call it that. Okay fine. Mainly because I wanted to see what happened to Jeremiah and Susannah, and only minorly Belly's boy fiasco. I really didn't and don't care who she chooses at this point.
Anyhow, I managed to finish this book in a few hours. Honestly, I think that I liked the first book just a smidge better. I don't know how exactly to translate that feeling into words, so I'll just leave it be.
Summer without Cousins Beach feels like torture for Belly, as it was always her home away from home. Due to unfavorable circumstances summer at the beach with her second family is cancelled and Belly finds herself feeling depressed. It doesn't help that her and her summer boys aren't on the best of terms. However, when Jeremiah calls her for help in finding Conrad, she jumps at the chance to make things right again. She knows that the beach will hold the answers as well as memories that they all need to relive.
It's Not Summer Without You wasn't particularly a difficult read, as I did finish it in a few hours, but I just felt like it wasn't going anywhere. What was the point? To find Conrad. Well, they did that. And then a small surprise is sprung on us, and hey, that's resolved pretty quickly. I dunno, the plot just didn't feel solid to me. I think that I was waiting for something crazy dramatic and plot altering to happen. This was more like reading somebody's day-to-day life.
That's not to say that I didn't enjoy it, because I did. I liked slipping back into the summer atmosphere (especially with all of the snow on the ground now) and revisiting these characters that seemed so real to me. Therefore, allow me to begin with things that I enjoyed about the book.
1. I liked the alternating viewpoints aspect. Seeing and feeling more of what Jeremiah was feeling really amped up my likeness of this book. He's the character that I felt most for in this book, because he seemed to not get any love from any character. Except there in the end, I suppose. As far as characters go, he's probably my favorite. He knows what he wants, he's honest and he appears to be an overall good guy. He's in love with Belly, but he still holds back because he feels something between her and Conrad. What a guy.
2. I like that we get to see things that happen between just Jeremiah, Conrad and Belly. I feel that bringing any other characters into this would've just spoiled everything.
Now for things that I didn't particularly care for. Boo.
1. Conrad. I still don't like him. He's broody and rude and I wouldn't mind telling him how I feel. Again, yes, I understand that he's going through a lot of difficult things that most others haven't ever dealt with, but I still don't feel that this is a reason to be such a git towards anybody. You can't control yourself when you're like that, blahblahblah. If I were there, I'd steal his beer and not give it back to him until he spilled his feelings. Or, just a tiny bit of his thoughts. Or, something. His feelings are so caged that he comes off a lot like the Grinch pre-Christmas hero.
He was a jerk. He was very selfish, and I honestly have no idea what Belly still sees in him. He led her on and then stomped all over her heart. Then, whenever she appears to be moving on, he throws a fit because she's not into him anymore. Grow up and put on your less grouchy and jealous big boy pants.
Oi, the frustrations.
2. Belly. In the first book she didn't bother me so much. However, in this book I found her to be very childish and at times stupid. This was the one point that I had to agree with Conrad about. Thus, I didn't really sympathize with her character this time around.
3. Not that it's a really big deal, but this line was just weird to me.
"Being mean to Cory was like being mean to a German shepherd puppy. There was just no sense in it."
WHAT. Does the type of puppy really matter?
Finally, the ending is something that I'm interested in. Did I expect it? Not entirely, but I'm eager to see how this will turn out in the next book. Hopefully this puts poor Belly on a path that's easier for her heart. Hmmph, though I have my doubts that it will.
Anyhow, am I satisfied with this book? Sure. I got to see things from Jeremiah's viewpoint, so I'm happy. It didn't seem to really go anywhere, but I'm hoping that the last book with clear things up a bit more. Thus speaking, I'll most definitely pick up the last book. Actually, probably after I finish this review. We'll see how that goes.
Overall, It's Not Summer Without You was a decent book. The pacing was fine, the characters were a bit frustrating but enjoyable to read about, and the friendship dynamic was superb.
☆☆☆/5
Recommend?: If you want a quick read about summer and a good friendship.

No comments:
Post a Comment