The Summer I Turned Pretty - Jenny Han
Going into this book, I honestly really didn't expect to like it, especially after reading a few reviews. However, I did find myself enjoying it, despite small things that annoyed me.
The plot basically consists of a girl named Belly (Isabel) relaying her annual summer trip to a house that she, her mom and her brother share with some really close friends. Ever since she could remember she's spent her summers with these people and has grown quite fond of and in love with them, especially a particular sir. The boys, almost like brothers, have always been protective of her, and she finds this particular summer to be an exceptionally roller coaster-esque summer, as all sorts of feelings hit the fan. This summer Belly feels more sure of herself, and everybody seems to take notice. But, alas, finding and maintaining love isn't as easy as it seems, as she finds herself caught up in feelings of new and old love.
So, like I said, I didn't automatically expect to like this book, as it appeared to be one of those obnoxiously "cutesy" books, that I sometimes read just to understand what all of the fuss is about. But, this book just intrigued me. The plot, I felt, was pretty solid and as realistic as can be. Measuring a life in summers, especially the type of summers that she has with her second family, is something that I can understand. You've got a beach, good family, good times, and all of that in just three months. I had no problems seeing the realistic bits of the story. The only thing that really annoyed me were the characters.
First off, Belly. With these sorts of books I usually find myself despising the main characters. With Belly, this wasn't particularly the case. Sure, there were moments when she irked me, but then, here's a girl wrought vulnerable by a first love. Hence, I forgave her for her awkward outbursts and praised her for standing up for herself.
Truly, the only character that really bothered me was Conrad. I see that he's brooding, because things are happening in his life that are difficult to deal with, but I don't think that this gives him a free pass to be a buttface and grab Belly in such mean ways. I don't care that he drinks or smokes, but the fact that he comes off as a controlling prat just really turned me way off of his character. Thankfully Jeremiah exists to lighten all of tension.
The writing was alright. Easy reading, and there were only a couple parts and phrases that I didn't particularly care for, but they didn't take too much away from the book.
As far as the ending goes, I feel like it was a bit rushed, especially that last chapter. Those leading up to the last chapter were fine, but I can't say that I really care for who she ended up with. Though, curiosity might lead me to finish this trilogy.
Also, I think a lot of people saw this book as a huge love square. Personally, I didn't really see it like this. To me, it was definitely just a triangle.
☆☆☆☆/5
Recommend?: If you're up for a somewhat cutesy summer story.

No comments:
Post a Comment