Tiger Lily - Jodi Lynn Anderson
Tiger Lily is definitely an interesting take on Peter Pan. While I found the pacing to be quite slow, the story still managed to entrance me.
Before Peter met Wendy, he met Tiger Lily and fell in love. After Peter Pan captures her, Tiger Lily finds herself enthralled by this boy who could very well be her equal. Ever competing and romping about Neverland, she risks many things in order to see him. Unbeknownst to Peter, Tiger Lily is set to be married to another in her tribe, and must decide between matters of honor and heart. It is only after the arrival of Wendy Darling, that Tiger Lily confronts her feelings about everything.
If you've read other reviews of this book, then I'm almost positive that you've figured out that this book is told from Tinker Bell's point of view. While it sounds strange and not at all what you'd expect, trust me, it doesn't deter the story at all. I thought that it was interesting. You don't often get stories that are told in such a way while actually putting a name to the narrator.
She details the story in a way that only a true friend and close observer could. She's honest and does a fine job in describing all of the characters and their feelings. Therefore, I have no beef with Tinker Bell.
Next, there's the whole, 'I was expecting a Disney-fied version of Peter Pan and not this story of violent and scary boys'.
I for one, really enjoyed this version of Peter Pan. If you've read the original Peter Pan, then you'd know that Peter and the Lost Boys weren't completely the little angels that we got from Disney. Sure, they were kids and wanted a mother, but they still wanted violence constantly.
While this book shows them as more grown up and less attracted to the violence, it still does exist. I think that if anything, Anderson's version of Neverland and its inhabitants adds more depth and intrigue to something that many of us have come to know and love. These darker and more serious characters are fascinating to read about, and I found myself eagerly continuing in order to find out what happened to them.
As much as I loved this book, the pacing was quite slow. It takes awhile for something to happen, and is really the only thing that bothered me about this book.
Being a huge fan of Peter Pan and Neverland and everything in between, I was really excited about this book. Now, having finished, I can honestly say that I did enjoy it. Sure, it was dark and at times morbid, but it kept me reading, which is something to admire in any book.
☆☆☆☆/5
Recommend?: If you adore Peter Pan and want to read a different take on it.

No comments:
Post a Comment