My Life Next Door - Huntley Fitzpatrick
I really enjoy books with quirky (there's that word again) families, funny yet interesting characters, and hilarious lines that make me laugh out loud. This book just happens to contain all three of these things. It was one of those books that just hooked me from the very first chapter and sent me on an emotional roller coaster until the end.
Samantha Reed's mother has thing for perfection and image. Their house compared to the Garretts' next door could be considered flawless, thus Ms. Reed insisted her daughters stay away from their "loud, numerous, messy and affectionate" neighbors. Despite her mother's feelings, Samantha has always felt drawn toward the Garretts and has watched their habits longingly over the years. But, one night Jase Garrett climbs up onto her stretch of roof and changes everything. Now she's included in the family that she's thought so much about and passionately in love with the boy who climbed her terrace. However, not everything is rainbows and butterflies with this book, as Sam must puzzle out her feelings for her new-found family, her mother, and her best friends.
So, if I haven't made it obvious by now, I really dig books that ooze real. My Life Next Door isn't one of those books that sugarcoats and over-cheeses everything. We get to read all about the passion, the indecision, and the issues that exist in Sam's world, that I feel greatly that Fitzpatrick did a wonderful job in detailing a teenage life.
Sam and Jase's relationship was kind of refreshing to read about. It had all of the stability that I feel should exist in a relationship that doesn't seem to exist in popular books of today. They really listened to each other and had those awkward moments together, that I couldn't help myself from smiling while reading.
And dear rowling, the Garrett family. Seriously, if I had a list started for favorite fictional families, they would rank pretty high. Sheesh, they were just so real and great together, that I just fell in love with them as soon as I met them. I feel especially endeared to little George and dearest Andy, both of which made me laugh and chuckle so many times. Each was distinct and just fantastic. I would definitely love to hang out with the Garrett family.
I didn't really see a problem with the writing. It flowed really well, and I didn't find myself getting annoyed with any of it.
If there was anything that did annoy me with this book, it was only a few characters, namely Sam's mother, Clay and Nan. Sam's mom and Clay I could kind of deal with, because hey, politicians. They're pretty much known for being excessively busy and trying to get ahead. So, I didn't really care for their characters, but I know that they had to exist.
Though, Nan just really irritated me. I felt like she was just going off about random things throughout the entire book. Accusing Sam of being perfect and the like, while she had to work for everything. Which, I understand to a degree, but are you seriously going to let this come between you and a best friend who's only trying to help you out? Oh well.
Sadly enough, I didn't even have a problem with Tim.
Overall, I found myself enjoying nearly every part of this book. The characters were realistic and really felt for them. The plot was interesting, yet sad there at the end. I really wish that there was a sequel so that all of the loose ends could be tied up and I could get some closure on those last few chapters.
Other thoughts:
* Jase Garrett, woo. What a fantastic, and alright, nearly perfect male character. But, I'm not even going to complain about this.
* Oh, George.
* I'm still smiling at Andy's dramatic kiss questions.
* It's really one of those books that leaves you thinking "whoa" after you've finished it. Hence my sitting here and dragging this review out.
☆☆☆☆☆/5
Recommend?: Hells to the yes, if you're looking for some really great contemporary fiction.
If you want to read about an incredibly amazing family and love.
If you want to laugh at loud, get to it.

No comments:
Post a Comment