Seven Tears Into the Sea - Terri Farley
I'm still not entirely sure how to feel about this one.
If anything, it was interesting. I really liked the folklore that kind of sprung from the sea atmosphere. There definitely isn't much of that in popular literature of today. So, the fact that the main male character of this story was a mythical selkie only made it that much more interesting. The book itself was a quick read.
Gwen Cooke was sleepwalking at the age of ten when she came upon a boy whom she thought was drowning. Alas, this boy didn't drown and instead walked towards her and whispered four lines in her ear. Shortly after this encounter, Gwen and her family moved away. However, after seven years her Nana invites her back home to help at her Inn and Gwen remembers the weird happenstance that occurred just years before. Now, she meets the boy who whispered to her and discovers the secret behind the four lines that she's never forgotten.
I just don't know. The story was cool and different. The pacing wasn't difficult to keep up with or boring. I only felt that everything was going about 120mph in the last fifty or so pages, because it seemed like EVERYTHING was happening. It was like all of the loose ends were in a full out sprint to be completed by the last page.
Another reason for the middle rating might be due to the fact that I couldn't really connect with any of the characters. Sure, Gwen was helpful and lucky, but I just didn't feel anything for her in all of the 279 pages that I read about her. When it came to Jesse, I was left wondering where the chemistry and getting to know each other was. Gwen even mentioned it herself when they first met (or the second time). But, maybe this is just how true love or love at first sight plays out? Eh.
I felt that Jesse was written pretty well. It was made very clear that he's a mythical creature for the majority of his life as he doesn't have humanity down to a science. Some of the things that he says are dated, but it works for him. Sure. I'd almost forgotten the fact that he's supposed to be drop-dead gorgeous.
I think that one thing that I would've enjoyed a bit more was heavier emphasis on the folklore aspect of the selkie. Yeah, we get a story about how they function and what not, but can't we delve a bit deeper into their lives instead of just witnessing the undying devotion traits?
Overall, I did enjoy this read more so because it was something different then the werewolves, vampires and zombies that plaque literature nowadays.
☆☆☆/5
Recommend?: If you're up for a different type of folklore then your average vamps or wolves.
If you want something quick that you don't necessarily have to attach yourself to.

No comments:
Post a Comment