The series that I'm going to list here aren't exactly secret indie series that absolutely no one has heard of. They're definitely out there, and I know that people have heard of them, however, I just don't feel that they get the right amount of love that they deserve.
While I completely adore The Hunger Games (also by Collins), I believe that her first series is more of my favorite. This possibly due to the fact that I read it first when I was younger, and completely fell in love, much like I did with Harry Potter. It was written for younger more middle-grade readers, and at times reads like such, but that doesn't mean that it's any lacking in creativity or adventure. Trust me, if you give it a chance, I can almost promise you that you'll fall in love with one or more of the characters as well as the story.
First book: Gregor the Overlander. "This irresistible first novel tells the story of a quiet boy who embarks on a dangerous quest in order to fulfill his destiny -- and find his father -- in a strange world beneath New York City.
When Gregor falls through a grate in the laundry room of his apartment building, he hurtles into the dark Underland, where spiders, rats, cockroaches coexist uneasily with humans. This world is on the brink of war, and Gregor's arrival is no accident. A prophecy foretells that Gregor has a role to play in the Underland's uncertain future. Gregor wants no part of it -- until he realizes it's the only way to solve the mystery of his father's disappearance. Reluctantly, Gregor embarks on a dangerous adventure that will change both him and the Underland forever." {x} From Amazon.
The Saga of Darren Shan (Cirque du Freak) - Darren Shan
I'm not entirely sure how popular any of Shan's novels are, being as I don't see them often enough around my area to properly judge. Darren Shan is one of my favorite writers, so you can only imagine how obsessed I became after finishing A Living Nightmare for the first time. This series is one about vampires, though not the kind that are swarming YA fiction all over the world. Shan writes mostly horror type stories, so his vampires show a more gritty and horror-esque vibe. They don't sparkle, they're not immortal, there can be half-vampires, what more in a vampire do you want? Now, don't think that these books are just going to freak you out, because they're not. They're going to shock you and leave you on the edge of your seat, reading into the wee morning hours to figure out the endings. Parts may be a bit scary and gruesome, but don't let that deter you.
Book one: A Living Nightmare. "Darren Shan and his best friend, Steve, get tickets to the Cirque Du Freak, a wonderfully gothic freak show featuring weird, frightening half human/half animals who interact terrifyingly with the audience. In the midst of the excitement, true terror raises its head when Steve recognizes that one of the performers-- Mr. Crepsley-- is a vampire!
Steve remains after the show finishes to confront the vampire-- but his motives are surprising! In the shadows of a crumbling theater, a horrified Darren eavesdrops on his friend and the vampire, and is witness to a monstrous, disturbing plea. As if by destiny, Darren is pulled to Mr. Crepsley and what follows is his forrifying descent into the dark and bloody world of vampires." {x} From Amazon.
Guardians of Time Trilogy - Marianne Curley
I managed to stumble upon the first book in this series at a thrift store, and lo and behold I'm quite thankful to have bought the book despite my hesitations. The Guardians of Time trilogy deals a lot with time travel, firstly introducing Ethan who is a Guardian of the Named. What do these guardians actually do, you wonder? They travel back in time in order to prevent the evil Order of Chaos from altering the past to make themselves stronger. Really, if the idea of time travel seems interesting to you, I'd highly recommend that you at least give this trilogy a shot. It might surprise you, as it did me.
Book one: The Named. "Ethan is a member of the Named, sworn to fight the Order of Chaos, an evil group determined to permanently change the course of history. But he is also a normal high school student trying desperately to keep up with his homework and fit in. When he is assigned to mentor Isabel, a cute classmate and future member of the Named, the line between his two lives begins to blur. So begins an epic quest as Ethan, Isabel, and others travel through time to battle dark forces and protect the future." {x} From Amazon.
Jessica Darling series - Megan McCafferty
A series from a different end of the spectrum, these books also really struck my interest. I actually somehow managed to buy the second book from a thrift store without knowing that it was the second one until I went to read it. So, then I had to request the first from the library, and let me just tell you that I laughed with Jessica Darling, I wrinkled my nose with Jessica Darling and I was just overall satisfied with her as a character. Also, just the name Marcus Flutie makes me giggle a little. Therefore, if you're looking for some chick lit or realistic and fun fiction, then I highly suggest that you spend some time with Miss Darling.
Book one: Sloppy Firsts. "When her best friend, Hope Weaver, moves away from Pineville, New Jersey, hyperobservant sixteen-year-old Jessica Darling is devastated. A fish out of water at school and a stranger at home, Jessica feels more lost than ever now that the only person with whom she could really communicate has gone. How is she supposed to deal with the boy- and shopping-crazy girls at school, her dad’s obsession with her track meets, her mother salivating over big sister Bethany’s lavish wedding, and her nonexistent love life?" {x} From Goodreads.
The Looking Glass Wars - Frank Beddor
This is another series that I don't see very much around my area or even hear many people talk about. Beddor's story is just a different take on Alice in Wonderland. I understand that Alice isn't for everyone, but if you want a series that is full of action and adventure, with lots of badassery thrown in the mix, then this is the series for you. Plus, it doesn't hurt if you're a serious Alice fan and can come to enjoy seeing how different this Wonderland is.
Book one: The Looking Glass Wars. "Alyss of Wonderland?
When Alyss Heart, heir to the Wonderland throne, must flee through the Pool of Tears to escape the murderous aunt Redd, she finds herself lost and alone in Victorian London. Befriended by an aspiring author named Lewis Carrol, Alyss tells the violent, heartbreaking story of her young life. Alyss trusts this author to tell the truth so that someone, somewhere will find her and bring her home. But he gets the story all wrong. He even spells her name incorrectly!
Fortunately, Royal Bodyguard Hatter Madigan knows all too well the awful truth of Alyss' story and he is searching every corner of our world to find the lost princess and return her to Wonderland so she may eventually battle Redd for her rightful place as the Queen of Hearts.
The Looking Glass Wars unabashedly challenges our Wonderland assumptions surrounding mad tea parties, grinning Cheshire cats, and a curious little blond girl to reveal an epic battle in the endless war for Imagination." {x} From Goodreads.






No comments:
Post a Comment