Sunday, February 3, 2013

Ask the Passengers by A.S. King

I knew that I would adore this book before I even started reading, namely because I feel so highly about other books by A.S. King. Ask The Passengers, in my opinion, was a fantastic read that I would have no difficulty or hesitation in recommending to others. The characters were charming and faced real-life dilemmas, and I was really sad when I had to let dearest Astrid go. From the philosophical quotes in the beginning of the book to Astrid sending her love to airplane passengers all the way through to the ending of the book, I was hooked and in love.

Astrid Jones has a secret. A secret relationship that she doesn't know how to talk about with anybody around her. Falling in love with a girl was the last thing that she'd expected to happen, and now she doesn't know how to tell the people in her life who demand answers. So, instead of confiding in them, she confides in the people who are flying thirty thousand feet overhead. She sends her love to these people because she feels that she doesn't need it where she is. While not only being confused about who to turn to and what her true feelings are, Astrid finds herself also struggling with society's definitions, and where she's been placed.


Breathe in, breathe out. Commence gushing.

I really adored this book. In it exists many things that I feel a great story includes. Realistic, charming and witty characters who grow to believe in themselves and who they are, quirky story lines, beautiful and honest writing and a bit of magic. A.S. King does a superb job in developing all of these characteristics in her books. I just fall in love with her characters every time, whether it's Lucky from Everybody Sees the Antsor Vera from Please Ignore Vera Dietz. For me, it's not often when the main character in a book ends up my favorite. Usually, I never care for them at all, and can easily choose minor characters over them. However, King makes her lead characters stand out. I freakin' love this about her.

Just like Lucky and Vera, Astrid appears to be in a league of her own. With this extraordinary quirk of sending her love to airplane passengers, she really does appear to touch them with her questions, which is a type of magic that I really enjoy reading about. Not only is Astrid just quirky, but she's also got a lot going on in her life. Between not knowing how to feel about her parent's new habits and attitudes after having moved to such a small town and her own feelings for her hidden girlfriend, she doesn't seem to have her life together. All of this confusion and frustration is beautifully written out in a way that is beyond understanding to the reader. We feel what Astrid feels, and it shouldn't be any other way.

As far as other characters, King really fleshes them out and gives them their own distinct personalities and problems as well. None of her characters are two-dimensional, as we see and feel many things both for and against them. We see the flaws that make each person themself. Fanastico.

The pacing wasn't bad at all with this story. I didn't want to put it down, even after I'd finished. Overall, I don't recall any problems with this book. I'd gladly reread it and any other book that King has and will continue to put out. 


Other thoughts:

* I loved the philosophical aspect to the book. I really enjoyed learning about that stuff in school and was glad to see it in literature. 
* Plus, the whole idea of the paradox day where you get to walk around and question everyone just seems like a fun thing to do.

☆☆☆☆☆/5

Recommend?: If you want to read about an intriguing and fantastic main character.
If you've read any other books by A.S. King and want to know how this one is.
If you want to feel happy about having read a story after you've finished it. (Despite its being over and all.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...