A Clash of Kings - George R. R. Martin
A Clash of Kings continues the battles and struggles for the throne that took place first in A Game of Thrones. The Seven Kingdoms is plaqued by a civil war that only grows more complex with each chapter. Robb Stark, new King in the North, is at war with the Lannisters for the arrest and beheading of his father. Renly and Stannis Baratheon have both declared themselves rightful heir to the throne, and thus begin fighting over who deserves it more. (The outcome makes me sad.) Balon Greyjoy declares himself king of the Iron Islands and begins to attack the coast of the North, making him another king vying for power. And, while all of this is going on, we have Arya disguising herself as a boy, Sansa pretty much stuck at King's Landing for fear of what the Lannisters could do to her, Bran and Rickon stuck at Winterfell trying to continue on without their father or King Robb to guide them, Jon Snow and the Knight's Watch seeking out answers about the wildlings, Theon trying too hard to impress his daddy, and the Khaleesi continues being a badass in the East.
Despite the thickness of the books, they're really not difficult to read. They're so enticing and interesting, that I didn't want to put the book down until I'd finished it, only to start the next one. Also, having also watched the television show, I enjoyed doing the comparison thing. Honestly, the show is pretty much right on the money, with only a few things or aspects added. So, if you're a fan of Game of Thrones, I'd highly recommend that you watch the show on HBO or other internet places.
While there are definitely some slow bits that make you want to skim, I highly urge you to delete that thought from your mind. There are plenty of details and plot points that are mixed in all throughout the book, and if you skim, you'll definitely miss some of them. Details, details, details, with quite a bit of profanity and mistreatment of women. (Which was the time, obviously, when women weren't seen as very important in some places.) Even so, these books are fantastic, and I highly recommend that you read them.
Final thoughts / feelings;
I will most definitely read the next book: A Storm of Swords, because I'm extremely curious as to what's going to happen next.
I felt like there was hardly any Khaleesi in this one, which made me kind of sad seeing as she's my favorite character.
The ages of the characters might throw you off a bit.
Poor, poor Sansa.
☆☆☆☆☆/5
Recommend?: If you want a new and enticing series to read.
Especially if you're into castles and wars and kings and the like.

No comments:
Post a Comment