Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
1. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
I don't know why, but I just figured that I would find it a tad more interesting like I did 1984.
2. The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
It has been awhile since I last read this one, but there are still things in it that I didn't particularly care for. I think that next year I'm going to skip making a book total and reread a lot of things, including this one. I hope that my aging might help me appreciate this one a bit more.
3. The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
It's been a few years since I read this one, as well, but I do remember going into it with very high expectations. I remember that the story kind of bored me, and then the whole body swapping thing kind of repulsed me. I felt terribly for the poor girl who was used and abused so that Susie could get what she wanted. It was terrible, and looking back, I don't remember why I even gave it three stars.
4. The Notebook - Nicholas Sparks
Truthfully, I saw the movie first and then scooped this book up from a thrist store. Now, I'm not saying that The Notebook was the greatest love story that I've ever seen, but it was a cute movie. Cute enough to make me wonder how the book was, only to be a tad bit disappointed. I believe it was the narration that really threw me off, because it was all looking back on the events instead of telling them from present time, and I was just too confused. Yes, the book was a bit cute, but not as cute as I thought it would be.
5. The Mysterious Benedict Society - Trenton Lee Stewart
I'd heard many good things about this book, so I went out and bought it. I don't remember what exactly about it put me off, only that it wasn't my particular cup of tea.
6. The Mockingbirds - Daisy Whitney
The premise was interesting, but I just didn't find myself agreeing with the story at all. The fact that the girl was raped and she didn't go to the police or anybody else besides The Mockingbirds really annoyed me. Rape is serious and it should be treated seriously. I don't feel that it should be tried in a student court rather then I real court.
7. Uglies - Scott Westerfeld
I'd seen this one everywhere and was constantly having it recommended to me by my best friend. Truly, I don't know what happened. It was an interesting story, the characters were interesting, but I just wasn't getting into the story like I hoped that I would. Perhaps this will warrant a reread?
8. The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
The concept was definitely interesting, in fact, I only kept reading because I wanted to know how a story like this could possibly end. Interestingly, if you haven't read. For some reason I just didn't get as much out of this book as others have. Honestly, I think I was wondering the entire time how the heck Henry managed to keep his job at the library.
9. Forbidden - Tabitha Suzuma {My review}
Truly, I wanted to like this book, because it was different and approached a difficult topic. I can admire anyone who can tackle a hefty topic, especially one like incest, and still make it a fanastic book, but this one just didn't do it for me. The characters, especially our lead female, really bothered me and kept me feeling very much for her. I don't know what I was expecting, but I didn't get it from this book.
10. The Crucible - Arthur Miller
Truly not a favorite of mine. In school I thought that it would be interesting and great, but it really didn't turn out that way in my mind.


Nicholas Sparks as well as Uglies made it on to my list as disappoints this week.
ReplyDeleteAs a lover of The Time Traveler's Wife, I couldn't agree with you there... but I didn't go in to it with very high expectations as I knew very little of it at the time.
An interesting list. I hope you manage to reread some of these and perhaps enjoy them, a book featured on my list that I feel in love with after a second reading.