Croak - Gina Damico
Clever and enticing.
What a funny and interesting book. Truly, I'm still mesmerized by what I just finished reading. It was quirky and funny and very very different. There really isn't another way to describe it. The characters with their strange names were extremely interesting as was the town of Croak and its inhabitants. Honestly, the whole thing was written very well and detailed, but with just enough sass to make an otherwise depressing topic fun.
Wild and violent behavior is what leads Lex's parents to ship her off for a summer with her Uncle Mort. Little do they know is that this sudden behavior is usually a tip-off for people who possess the gift. The gift is reaping, and is completely unbeknownst to Lex until her uncle lets her in on his line of business. With her new scythe and partner, she is in charge of Killing people and making sure that their souls become extracted. Basically, she makes sure that the recently dead's soul find a place in the afterlife. However, it's not always easy to see so much of death and killers and knowing that she can't do anything about it. Already she has a knack for breaking rules, so is this just the next stop for her rebellious train?
Wow. Going into this book I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. I mean, I was hoping for an interesting story, which I got, but other than that I had absolutely no idea what to expect. Clearly I need to start vehemently reading paranormal/fantasy fiction like I used to, instead of so much contemporary. Anyhow, any book that is written in a snarky tone and is able to make me smile or flat out guffaw is usually one that I end up enjoyed very much. This was very much the case with Croak. The writing was fun but also really informative. The author gets really in-depth about certain aspects of the reaping world, and it really helped me to get more into the mindset and believe what they were doing. I mean, freaking jellyfish help detect when people are going to die, AND IT MAKES SENSE. Honestly, it was all just very impressive and imaginative. Also, the way that she described the town of Croak made it into a place that I'd be interested in visiting. Oh, and all of the unique creations that Uncle Mort made. So imaginative.
I had no problems with the pace of this book. Everything flowed in a nice and smooth way, which was quite nice, because I was overly eager about figuring out the ending.
There were some things that were too silly and others that were completely unrealistic. For instance, the many terrible things that Lex does to her fellow classmates. From small descriptions, we can determine that she's done some really scary and violent things to her classmates. This being, how the hell is she still in school? I don't believe that she'd still be any other school in the country for everything that she's done.
Truly, it's ridiculously unrealistic, but if you can look past them, then they don't take much away from the book. Just let its quirkiness draw you in and forget the uncalled for violent outbursts, and I find that it becomes just a tad easier to fall in like with.
My oh my, the characters. They were all very unique and hilarious. I only wish that we'd gotten to delve a bit farther into some of the rest of their pasts, However, I do understand that this isn't always possible. To go into more detail about our main character: Lex, I must admit that she had her ups and downs. Most of the time she annoyed the crap out of me, and was too hasty to resort to violence. She was very rude and a potty mouth and honestly, there were definite points where I didn't like her at all. But, then she would go and say something brilliant or hilarious and I would find myself smiling and pulling her back into my good graces. Really, our book relationship was a bit rocky, but I always found myself finding small things that I admired. I think that you'll probably feel the same if you read or have already read it.
However, it's not to say that I wasn't impressed with her and all that she accomplished. If I were her, I don't know how well I would have handled all of the death and weird happenstances. Therefore, I applaud her for being so brave and headstrong. Though, I suspect that this is due a lot to the fact of this mysterious behavior.
Overall, Croak was a highly imaginative and hilarious book. The whole idea of reaping was well thought out and described fantastically in a way that makes complete sense. Seriously. If a book can tell you that jellyfish can predict when people are going to die and have it make sense, then that book is probably going to be awesome and fun. Which is exactly what this book turned out to be. With just the right amount of snarkiness in the writing and just as snarky characters, it is truly a series that needs to be watched.
I would definitely like to pick up the rest of the books in this series.
☆☆☆☆/5
Recommend?: If you want a Reaper series that will leave you smiling.
If you want a silly yet serious story.
What a funny and interesting book. Truly, I'm still mesmerized by what I just finished reading. It was quirky and funny and very very different. There really isn't another way to describe it. The characters with their strange names were extremely interesting as was the town of Croak and its inhabitants. Honestly, the whole thing was written very well and detailed, but with just enough sass to make an otherwise depressing topic fun.
Wild and violent behavior is what leads Lex's parents to ship her off for a summer with her Uncle Mort. Little do they know is that this sudden behavior is usually a tip-off for people who possess the gift. The gift is reaping, and is completely unbeknownst to Lex until her uncle lets her in on his line of business. With her new scythe and partner, she is in charge of Killing people and making sure that their souls become extracted. Basically, she makes sure that the recently dead's soul find a place in the afterlife. However, it's not always easy to see so much of death and killers and knowing that she can't do anything about it. Already she has a knack for breaking rules, so is this just the next stop for her rebellious train?
Wow. Going into this book I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. I mean, I was hoping for an interesting story, which I got, but other than that I had absolutely no idea what to expect. Clearly I need to start vehemently reading paranormal/fantasy fiction like I used to, instead of so much contemporary. Anyhow, any book that is written in a snarky tone and is able to make me smile or flat out guffaw is usually one that I end up enjoyed very much. This was very much the case with Croak. The writing was fun but also really informative. The author gets really in-depth about certain aspects of the reaping world, and it really helped me to get more into the mindset and believe what they were doing. I mean, freaking jellyfish help detect when people are going to die, AND IT MAKES SENSE. Honestly, it was all just very impressive and imaginative. Also, the way that she described the town of Croak made it into a place that I'd be interested in visiting. Oh, and all of the unique creations that Uncle Mort made. So imaginative.
I had no problems with the pace of this book. Everything flowed in a nice and smooth way, which was quite nice, because I was overly eager about figuring out the ending.
There were some things that were too silly and others that were completely unrealistic. For instance, the many terrible things that Lex does to her fellow classmates. From small descriptions, we can determine that she's done some really scary and violent things to her classmates. This being, how the hell is she still in school? I don't believe that she'd still be any other school in the country for everything that she's done.
Truly, it's ridiculously unrealistic, but if you can look past them, then they don't take much away from the book. Just let its quirkiness draw you in and forget the uncalled for violent outbursts, and I find that it becomes just a tad easier to fall in like with.
My oh my, the characters. They were all very unique and hilarious. I only wish that we'd gotten to delve a bit farther into some of the rest of their pasts, However, I do understand that this isn't always possible. To go into more detail about our main character: Lex, I must admit that she had her ups and downs. Most of the time she annoyed the crap out of me, and was too hasty to resort to violence. She was very rude and a potty mouth and honestly, there were definite points where I didn't like her at all. But, then she would go and say something brilliant or hilarious and I would find myself smiling and pulling her back into my good graces. Really, our book relationship was a bit rocky, but I always found myself finding small things that I admired. I think that you'll probably feel the same if you read or have already read it.
However, it's not to say that I wasn't impressed with her and all that she accomplished. If I were her, I don't know how well I would have handled all of the death and weird happenstances. Therefore, I applaud her for being so brave and headstrong. Though, I suspect that this is due a lot to the fact of this mysterious behavior.
Overall, Croak was a highly imaginative and hilarious book. The whole idea of reaping was well thought out and described fantastically in a way that makes complete sense. Seriously. If a book can tell you that jellyfish can predict when people are going to die and have it make sense, then that book is probably going to be awesome and fun. Which is exactly what this book turned out to be. With just the right amount of snarkiness in the writing and just as snarky characters, it is truly a series that needs to be watched.
I would definitely like to pick up the rest of the books in this series.
☆☆☆☆/5
Recommend?: If you want a Reaper series that will leave you smiling.
If you want a silly yet serious story.

No comments:
Post a Comment