Article 5 - Kristen Simmons
This book. I can't even.
I was just completely enthralled and taken with this book that I was really depressed when I got down to about twenty pages to go. The story intrigued me, the characters were enchanting and BADASS and the whole thing overall was just so fast-paced and thrilling that I was in serious love after it was all over. Honestly, I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did. It took me a few chapters to really get into it and come to terms with everything that was going on, buuut I'll get to this later.
America is now in a bit of a pickle. The Bill of Rights has been revoked and replaced with Moral Statutes that must be obeyed at all costs. Noncompliance with these statutes result in scary arrests, disappearances and serious retribution that is unknown to everybody but the government. Enter Ember Miller who lives with her overly rebellious mother and struggles to keep them under the MM (Moral Militia) radar. Sadly, it doesn't work out for Ember as her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5, and she finds herself being whisked off to a rehabilitation center. There she struggles to understand the unjust government and fights for an opportunity to see her mother again.
I really enjoyed the writing. I felt that Simmons did a wonderful job in describing her characters and their feelings as well as all of the intense and terrible things that happen to them. She wrote in a very honest and realistic way that I found myself cringing at certain parts because I could picture them so vividly. I just. Let me tell you, the lady truly knows how to write some intense moments. Whether it's fight scenes or on the run scenes, she's got it down.
The pacing was done very well. It was very swift and always transitioning into something new and exciting that I didn't ever find myself slowing down out of boredom. Now, I did mention that it took me awhile to get into the story, but I assure you that this had nothing to do with the pacing. It was the overall story that I was questioning at first.
It was the Moral Statutes that bothered me. First, the fact that there were only five and I was just stupidly dubious as to how they were going to make such an awesome story. I am truly sorry for doubting you Kristen Simmons.
I mean, after reading that there were so many restrictions and the MM, I was like, "Eh, so they're just really strict. How bad could it be?" When they were carting Ember and her mother away I was still stupidly doubting this government (for what reasons, I honestly have no idea) and it wasn't until Ember actually got to the Rehabilitation Center that I started believing in the story more. It was awful and gritty and I slowly fell in love with it. I only wish that we'd gotten more into situations having to do with the other Statutes, but perhaps she'll touch on these more in the next book or so?
Characters, ohmyrowling were they badass. Honestly, I'm a sucker for a book that has badass main characters. They're usually just so freaking cool and fun to read about, and this book certainly didn't disappoint. First, our main female lead Ember. There were indeed times when I just wanted to shake her and tell her to stop over thinking things and be rational. I mean, you're in dire times, sweetheart, you've got to start thinking about your survival and not fling yourself into situations that you have no way of handling by yourself.
For instance: Serious spoilers! ->[
When she's at the Rehabilitation Center and acts all frivolous and recklessly, just after she first arrives. I mean, wouldn't you want to scope out the workings of the place before you freak out and start attacking people?
Next, when she tries to ditch Chase and ends up running into the dog eating crazy? I mean, you have this big, strong boy who swears that he's going to look after you and make sure that you get to the safe point and the first thing that you want to do is ditch him and try to get there on your own? I'm sorry, but you are no match for any MM that could potentially catch you or any other hulking figure for that matter. You have nothing to defend yourself with and no definite idea of where you're going. This is when some serious rationalizing would come in handy. Honestly, at least let the strong boy get you to or at least near the place before you try to ditch him. Even then, I probably wouldn't let him out of my sight.
(hide spoiler)]End of spoilers.
There were probably more parts that I could have mentioned but those are the ones that stuck out most in my mind. Though, even though these bits frustrated me with Ember's character, I still couldn't bring myself to hate her. Sure, she was a bit hysterical and at times stupid, but I had to keep in mind that anybody would crack if they were in her situation. There was a lot going wrong in her life in so short of a time that I really felt for her character. She was emotional and conflicted, and I feel that Simmons did a wonderful job in describing her character.
And then Chase. CHASE JENNINGS, OH MY ROWLING. What a guy he turned out to be. His character was written so well, and I just fell so head over heels in love with him. He was protective and (for the most part) honest, and ohso badass. Seriously, if I were stuck in hard times like these there wouldn't be any other person that I'd want by my side. Besides Daryl Dixon, maybe. But anywho, completely different subject there. He was hardened from his time in the military and MM and it really showed with his character. He was honest and very 'kick butt and take names later' and he was just so brilliant. He knew his limits when it came to Ember and he made her safety his first and foremost priority. I just. I'll stop gushing now.
Another thing that I really enjoyed about this book was the fact that it wasn't all about the romance. It was about their survival and how corrupt the government was, that their slowly building romance was only an added bonus.
Overall, Article 5 was a totally awesome dystopian title. From the never ending action and intense storyline to the wonderfully detailed characters, it doesn't disappoint. I see that there is a sequel out already, and I will most definitely check it out from my library very soon. Honestly, I was so enthralled in this first novel that I feel really optimistic about the next one and anything else that Simmons will hopefully write. Just go and read it already!
☆☆☆☆☆/5
Recommend?: If you're into dystopian titles and have been eyeballing this one.
If you want to read something that is very intense and full of badasses.

No comments:
Post a Comment