Friday, April 5, 2013

Serenity: Those Left Behind - Joss Whedon

Serenity: Those Left Behind - Joss Whedon

Okay, just to start, I am a HUGE fan of Firefly and Serenity. So, whenever I discovered that there were graphic novels based on the show, I knew without hesitation that I would find some way to read them. Thankfully enough I could get this one from my library, but it seems that finding the next few is going to be quite the task. (Amazon, perhaps?)

Anywho Browncoats, I don't expect that you'll be disappointed. This story is a prelude to Serenity and details a mission that the crew take on in the hopes of scoring some coin and being able to fly away for a bit. However, what they think will be an easy snatch and grab actually turns into a deadly plot against them orchestrated by an old enemy. 

The story was fun and interesting as was the dialogue. Really, what else do you expect coming from the mind of Joss Whedon? I liked how right it all was and how easily I could picture it all in my head as well as seeing it on the pages. Really, I was captivated by it and I just want moremoremore. 

Looking through some other reviews I realize that their words do breathe truth. However, I haven't really delved as deeply into the graphic novel world just yet, so I don't feel like I can properly be a judge of the graphics and whatnot. To me, they were nice and looked a lot like their corresponding characters, besides Simon. I didn't recognize him right away.

If anything I was excessively happy to slip back into the world of Firefly with its big damn heroes. My only complaint would be that it was too short. I didn't want it to end at all. I miss this crew and Serenity and I'm thankful that we were given these graphic novels to also hold onto and cherish. 

☆☆☆☆☆/5
Recommend?: If you want more Firefly in your life.
If you need more Firefly in your life.

Other thoughts:
* The Nathan Fillion introduction really warmed my heart. It was perfect. His words are golden.
"What you hold in your hand is not just a comic. It is much more. It is a handbook. It is a guide. It is reference material for when you become a superhero. I have found the secret, you see. To become a superhero, all you have to do is want it badly enough, and comics are the fuel to that fire."
* The Chinese cursing, while fantastic in the show, really didn't play out so well for me in the dialogue.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...