Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Top Ten Words/Topics That Instantly Make Me Buy/Pick Up A Book.




1. Dystopian
Currently these tend to be the 'in' thing to read, but I don't find myself drawn to them because they're hip and pouring out of publishing houses. I like them because they're different and are able to write about characters in our world without having to drag many paranormal beings into the mix. It's not to say that I don't like these paranormal beings, because I do, it's just that I like reading about these future worlds with a twinge of realism. Seriously, the gritty and realistic dystopian topics that are able to scare the pants off of me usually end up being my favorites.

2. Historical Fiction
If I hear good things about them, then I'm more likely to pick them up. Especially if I hear that it's written properly. I am a sucker for well-done historical fiction. Something about going back in time just really strikes something in me. Ha. I like to read about the past and future, what does that say about me?

3. Fantasy
I'm willing to try and read just about any book, but if it has a fantasy-esque setting, then I'll more than likely be in for it. Especially if I hear wonderful things about them, or they're from a series or author that I've already read.

4. Forbidden/ Difficult topics
I think that they appeal to me so much because I like to see how different authors write about these difficult times. I don't enjoy reading about these suffering or different people particularly because I like the subject matter persay, but just because I like getting in people's heads and seeing how they work. I like to understand why things happen, so I usually pick up these books to do just that. Also, because I like to see what all of the hype or fuss is about.

5. Kickbutt characters
It's not really a topic, but if the description leads me to believe that the characters are going to be kickass, then I'll most definitely pick up the book. I love a book with brave and courageous people who stand up for themselves and fight for what they want.

6. Gritty/realistic
I love love love realistic books, because I find them to be more easy to relate to and they usually have characters that I really enjoy. As far as grittiness, I just find it really interesting. Again, it goes with the learning and conditioning thing. I like to read about people and see how they react and do things, even in the worst of circumstances. Hm. That sounds really weird, doesn't it?

7. Magic 
Truly, I love just about everything that has to do with magic. Whether it's very Harry Potter-esque or deals with magic in some other way, then I'm usually up for trying it.

8. Mythology
I adore mythology, so any books that can incorporate it into their storylines are usually on my radar.

1 comment:

  1. I love magic!! And basically everything else on your list!!
    New follower
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...