Valor - Taylor Longford
I had to let this book set in. Truly, it was very interesting and I actually found myself quite curious as to how the whole thing would unfold. This was my first gargoyle book, so in essence it was pretty nice. Seeing as we got plenty of interesting characters to focus on and an interesting plot to read about, I tried not to be too negative. It really surprised me.
Gargoyles are not what you'd imagine. Instead of huge, ugly and hulking pillars of stone that were used to prevent rainwater from eroding mortar, these are a beautifully winged yet dangerous race that have been gone for eight hundred years. That is, until curious MacKenzie decides to open her stepfather's crates from England and finds herself intertwined with a pack of gargoyles. She helps them adapt to everyday life and finds herself just as protective of them as they are of her. This loyalty finds itself tested when a vicious harpie is thrown into the mix and shakes things up.
Honestly, I found the writing to be a bit flat. Most of the book was MacKenzie describing everything in a very dull manner, making it very difficult to feel anything for her. We didn't really see much emotion, besides when she fawned all over Valor and even then it was still flat. This made the book feel a lot longer then it actually was. However, when it came time to describing the gargoyles and their history, I was impressed with all of the information that we were given. It was a relief after so much dullness.
The pacing was alright. Everything progressed in a decent manner, and I didn't find myself getting any serious whiplash from day changes.
The characters in this book were the best part. Actually, the gargoyles were the best part. I didn't find myself caring much for the main character; MacKenzie, most probably because we don't get to learn much about her besides the fact that she has red hair and a Jeep Cheroke. Frankly, she kind of annoyed me as well. Not only do we not see her express many feelings, besides those of burning love towards Valor, but she just doesn't seem very wise.
For instance, {semi spoiler, though not really} when she's trapped under the toolbox, she doesn't even emote. All she does is think, "Oh, I really shouldn't have opened all of those drawers. Look, this thing is probably going to break my ankle if I don't move it soon." She doesn't even try to call for help. She just didn't seem realistic to me. Then, as soon as Valor throws the toolbox off of her, she doesn't even wonder how he could have gotten there. She lives in the middle of nowhere and didn't even try yelling for help, so how could she even figure that this stranger was just waltzing by and knew that she was in the garage? How?
There were more instances that made me facepalm, but that was that major one. I just. How do you not think about it? I would be freaking out. There's no way that I'd a stranger, even one who saved my life, sleep in my house. No way in hell. I just, oi the frustrations.
However, as much as I didn't care for MacKenzie, I did find myself falling in severe like with all of the gargoyles. Their history was fleshed out nicely and their personalities were all very distinct and just as detailed. They were funny and serious and protective, and it was hilarious witnessing their adaptation to modern society. Truly, they made the story, and boosted the rating in my eyes.
Overall, Valor was an okay book. The gargoyle storyline was new and refreshing to read about, especially because it was described so well. Even though the writing was pretty dull, I'd still suggest that you give it a chance just for the gargoyles alone. They make the story, I swear.
☆☆☆/5
Recommend?: If the whole gargoyle thing intrigues you.

No comments:
Post a Comment