Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum

I can remember reading this book when I was younger and being completely enthralled with the land of Oz that I wanted to know more. Sadly, back then I wasn't aware that Oz was a series and that I could in fact read more about these characters that I'd grown to enjoy. While having seen the movie tends to overshadow bits of the book, it in no way takes anything away from the story.

After a raging cyclone lifts Aunt Em and Uncle Henry's house into the sky, Dorothy and Toto somehow manage to find themselves in a strange land called Oz. Upon arrival, she uncovers the rulers of all parts of Oz and is convinced that she must go see the Wizard in the Emerald City, because it is only he who can tell her how to get back home to Kansas. Following the yellow brick road, she meets many interesting characters along the way whom she befriends and invites to meander their way to seek out from the Wizard the thing that they each want most. 

Ah, this story reads just as smoothly as it did when I young. The writing is creative and full of adventure and kept me going until the very end. Even if you just have knowledge from the movie, having read the book in no way deters this. There are some definite differences, the ruby slippers for example are really silver in the book. 

Overall, I completely adored The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and will most definitely read through the entire series, especially since they're all free on my kindle. Baum writes a creative story that I believe will continue to enchant readers young and old alike for years to come.

☆☆☆☆☆/5
Recommend?: If you like a quirky, adventure story.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...