Friday, March 22, 2013

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

This book. Just, wow. 

Going into it I was pretty sure that I would like it. I mean, I'd heard many great things about it and read loads of positive reviews. Just from these things I knew that it would be a good book. What I didn't expect was to fall so completely in love with it that I cried when I had to leave the characters on the last page. Zusak's writing as Death was so beautiful and full of truth, that I didn't want to put the book down when I had to leave for work. I nearly called off so that I could finish reading it. There are so many different words that I could use to describe this book, but if I took the time to write them all down, then this review would only be a huge list of adjectives and feelings that would read more as mush than anything coherent. 

This story weaves together a story with both humor and sadness whilst taking place in a serious and scary part of history. The Book Thief details the tragic though in some ways fortunate life of a girl named Liesel Meminger who is living in Germany during the Third Reich and World War Two. Though, it is not Liesel who tells this story but Death, who also tells about his especially busy time with the war. Death describes for us the life of Liesel and the people whom she interacts with most: her foster family, her friends, her neighbors and even a Jewish man named Max who makes an incredible impact on Liesel's life. Death also tells about the books that she steals and the words that help her live day to day.

I am completely in love with this book. Zusak's writing style was phenomenal. I've read that some found his style to be difficult to get through, while others, like myself, praise it for its uniqueness. That kind of thing will probably always be hit or miss, but despite just the style, the actual story was amazing. The way that he places Death as the narrator made the whole thing read in an even more awe-inspiring way. At least, it did for me. 

Character-wise, I have no problems with anyone. All of the characters were fleshed out very well and were all given their moments to glisten in the story. They were all written in a way that made me feel like I truly knew who they were and would happily enjoy getting to meet them in real life. They were all also quite memorable and as far as I believe will remain unforgettable, which is something that they all deserve to be. 

The plot, if you haven't noticed my gushing already, was fantastic. I really adore novels that take place sometime in history, especially ones that feel so real and feasible. Zusak did a great job in integrating his characters and their situations into the scary instances that took place during the Second World War. 

Pacing-wise, I also have no problems. While some parts did seem to be going a bit slower than others, I don't recall myself ever getting too frustrated with it. If anything, I knew that certain parts needed to be included and I happily kept going because I was already so enthralled with it.

Overall, The Book Thief is fast becoming one of the new favorites. From the unique writing style to the even more unique narrator, I found myself completely engulfed in this novel. The characters were realistic, the problems were unfortunate, and the books were very intriguing. If you haven't read this book yet and have been eyeballing it for some time now, I HIGHLY recommend that you give in and read it. I don't believe that you'll be disappointed in the least. 

☆☆☆☆☆/5
Recommend?: If you want a fantastic read that will invoke so many feelings of so many kinds while also managing to intrigue you to no limit, then I recommend that you read this book.
If you're into books that take place at some point in history.
If the idea of Death narrating a novel piques your interest. 
If you're living and breathing. 

Now, I must go out to buy myself an actual copy of this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...